As an Arrivals Team Member, you will assist DVM/RVT’s or Team Lead with transfer intakes, medical support and basic animal care as directed by the DVM when the animals reach their final destination. Your role will also ensure a safe environment is maintained for the animals and the team members.
- Assist DVM/ RVT’s or Team Lead with various tasks involved with animal intake
- Provide food, water and enrichment for the animals as needed
- Walk dogs as required
- Follow Ontario SPCA animal protocols at all times
- Clean and disinfect as required by protocols
- Perform animal handling as required
- Transfer animal information to the Shelter Staff as required
- Assist with unloading supplies/animals as required
- Registered Vet, Vet Tech, Vet Assistant or previous professional experience as such preferred, enrolled in a post-secondary school Animal program accepted
- Excellent animal handling experience, especially with dogs
- Skilled communicator with an emphasis on safety as a priority
- Comfortable with changing timelines and working outside of regular business hours
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to follow OSPCA best practices guidelines.
- Must have a genuine compassion for animals
- Participate in Ontario SPCA training as required
- This role will require the team members to arrive at the shelter prior to transport, to organize the arrival of the animals. This could also occur after regular business hours.
- Evening/ night assistance might be required.
- May be exposed to diseases or infections carried by animals.
- Bending. lifting, or reaching will be required when unloading animals, along with some heavy lifting, up to 50 lbs. For example, carrying a large dog crate with a dog inside for 25 metres.
- Schedule changes might occur requiring additional wait time and or overnight stays.
Please note: This role can be physically and Mentally challenging but highly rewarding and satisfying!